Monday, November 17, 2008

Oral Fixation

Do you suffer from break-outs around the mouth and chin? Is your skin usually clear but every now and then you get a huge zit or two when you least expect it? It is annoying as hell and difficult to conceal. For women, hormones are usually to blame but if symptoms persist then you may be suffering from a condition called Peri-oral Dermatitis. I used to have it, so I can definitely relate to how bothersome it can be.

THE CULPRITS

1. IODIZED SALT

I know what you're thinking. Yes, it means it can be in anything that you eat. I personally have given up french fries (CRY!!!) because waking up to flare-ups aren't worth it. Even with an antihistamine, my allergic reaction to iodized salt has mutated over the years. Substitute your regular salt to sea salt instead. I can breathe a sigh of relief while I'm wolfing down that bag of potato chips, knowing in the back of my head that I won't be ambushed with zits the next day. Before you say how prissy or vain I must be, well my answer is simple: It's never too late to take care of your skin. If you aren't willing to give up certain things then finding a way around it should be worth the extra step. Remember, as you get older, blemishes are harder to treat and scars will not fade as fast. Did I mention trips to the dermatologist can be as expensive as hell?

2. TARTAR-FIGHTING FLOURIDE TOOTHPASTE

If you're raising your eyebrows at this, you must be among the lucky ones who won't need to make that switch. This is the most common cause of around-the-mouth break-outs. Don't stress! I learned the hard way and I'm making it easy for you. These products do not disappoint!

Healthy Mouth Tea Tree Toothpaste by JASON

YOU MAKE ME WANNA: Natural and organic, infused with Cinnamon make this so yummy
UH-OH: Not available in your regular supermarkets or drug stores, stop by a health store instead
Skin-saving toothpaste by VMV HYPOALLERGENICS

GOOD TO KNOW: VMV is a complete skin, hair and body cosmetics line developed by dermatologist Dr. Vermen M. Verallo.  At 16, my mother had almost given up in the search for the doctor who would banish my teenage acne forever. 
DOWN SIDE: Due to it's popularity, it may be out of stock and clients have a tendency to hoard